Location and Schedule

Nourishing and nurturing our future through a shared teaching garden connecting people to food, heritage and community.

Located at 871 N. Cornell St. (1525 W.) Salt Lake City, Utah, 84116

Open Saturday mornings (Spring & Summer: 8 to 10; Fall 9-11) and Wednesday evenings (April-October 6 to dusk)

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Spins Rap Parsnips





A brisk afternoon met us at the garden on Wednesday. My kids scaled the leaf pile (which will soon reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees) and we spread leaves over the lettuce and beets. The lettuce can be harvested another couple weeks because of the insulation. After a good week of frosts, the parsnips were ready. We dubbed this beauty, "dinosaur." I removed the tops right away for my chickens, and stored them in a plastic bag (no washing). On Friday I made chicken vegetable soup and added the peeled and chopped parsnip. My kids didn't even notice because parsnips look like potatoes. And the flavor was fantastic. But my favorite thing about parsnips? How easily they becomes a palindrome. So either way you look at it, there's something good for everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Your fragrant and leafy comforter sounds so comphy I'm temped to sleep in the garden the next time I come to visit! (Oh, and I'm still trying to spell parsnip backwards...it only says "Pinsrap" for me...what am I missing?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS~ What darling little children you have!! Your finest crop yet!

    ReplyDelete