Location and Schedule

Nourishing and nurturing our future through a shared teaching garden connecting people to food, heritage and community.

Located at 871 N. Cornell St. (1525 W.) Salt Lake City, Utah, 84116

Open Saturday mornings (Spring & Summer: 8 to 10; Fall 9-11) and Wednesday evenings (April-October 6 to dusk)

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Are You Addicted to Weed?

If you can answer yes to at least two of the following questions, you may have an addiction to weed:

1) You skip other activities because you just have "a little more" weeding to do.
2) When weeds are in sight, you find yourself preoccupied with them.
3) You tell yourself you can stop whenever you want, but then you keep weeding.
4) You find stress relief from weeding.
5) Even when you experience negative consequences (caked fingernails, rough hands, torn gloves, sore back, aching knees) you continue the behavior.

Although I grew up in Colorado, I am clearly not referring to that kind of weed. Weed Addict may be a bit strong, Weedophile sounds creepy, so I'll call myself a Weeder. During childhood I did some occasional weeding, but my first clear memory of weed-induced euphoria was the summer after I graduated high school. My sister and I were weeding along our fence and we noticed that thistle had overrun our elderly neighbor's roses. He grew prize-winning roses that he'd brought with him from Texas, but they'd been neglected while his wife had been very ill. We decided to do him a favor. We rang, and no one answered, so we tried the gate and found it unlocked. An hour later his roses were restored to full glory and I had fallen in love with gardening gloves. Since then I have weeded playgrounds, friends' lawns while the kids played in the pool, strangers' curbside landscaping, school grounds, yards of abandoned homes, neighbors' gardens (with and without permission), and of course my own and family members' yards and gardens.  I have pulled weeds taller than myself, removed goat heads bare-handed, sneaked into yards at night to weed, and offered free weeding to complete strangers. I lose track of time because I have a completion goal in mind. It's not "I'll quit in half an hour," it's "I'll quit when the compost bin can't be packed more or when this area is weed-free."

So with all this passion for weeding, you'd think our Community Garden would be heaven for me. But no. All those weeds have actually taught me to prioritize, relinquish my expectation of control, and put on blinders. I've learned that 5% vinegar barely affects weeds and that rhizomal weeds (bindweed and hoary cress), are better embraced and kept at bay than attacked full-on. Because we don't use commercial herbicides, we are trying black plastic to solarize some of the weeds. An 81-year old man visited RPCG and told me it takes 3-4 years of solarization to eradicate the bindweed. For anyone searching for job security, I say "Weeders of the world, pull together!"

At my Aunt's beautiful home in Logan, I could have been playing in the pool with my kids, but then I discovered a patch of thistle hiding on the edge of her property. No worries, I had a bandanna and work gloves stashed in the car for just such emergencies. And yes, I'm proud of my Full-fledged Farmer's Tan.

3 comments:

  1. I was on my way to weed Addicts Anonymous, but I saw a few "milkweeds" in the rocks at the bus stop, and before you know it, I was pulling out all the weeds in the sidewalk cracks from here to Boulder. That cloud hanging over Colorado is actually all the dust I kick up as I tear weeds out of land that isn't mine. Funny, I don't remember weeding for Jim, but I do remember weeding at the church building that summer. I need to be buried with my weed digging tool (the thing that looks like a screw driver) in case my grave site ever gets a weed (heaven certainly won't have them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome Christina!!! It made me want to go pull weeds and tackle prickly thistles!! If I can do it without getting on my knees I'll be okay....otherwise someone might have to call in a crane to get me back up. :o/ I love your writing---you are so amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this with the new photos moments after calling to the kids, "I don't care if you're pulling weeds out of that crack, get out of the street!" Weed, then crack and now kids on the street. Now I know what they mean by "gateway."

    ReplyDelete