Location and Schedule

Nourishing and nurturing our future through a shared teaching garden connecting people to food, heritage and community.

Located at 871 N. Cornell St. (1525 W.) Salt Lake City, Utah, 84116

Open Saturday mornings (Spring & Summer: 8 to 10; Fall 9-11) and Wednesday evenings (April-October 6 to dusk)

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Little Red Hen

A copy of Richard Scarry's rendition of the Little Red Hen sits on my shelf. The exciting conclusion is missing because it endured my early childhood. I always agreed with the Hen's course of action--she invited the others to help, but they didn't, so when the time came to enjoy the bread, she ate it herself. No guilt. Scott told me a few weeks ago that he calls this the "Little Red Hen Garden." I thought he was referring to the handful of people who do most of the work, since the majority of help shows up for the "big-ticket" harvest. But tonight he explained that everyone can be the little red hen each week--we work a little and enjoy the benefits as well. My daughter is pictured with two of the 6 "shares" (minus the turnips and green beans) that were available to the six workers this evening. I suspect that a family could have all the vegetables it needed by helping twice each week at the Garden. Someday I'll put that to the test. But for now I'll work in my garden and take care of my little red, black and gold hens.

No comments:

Post a Comment