Location and Schedule

Nourishing and nurturing our future through a shared teaching garden connecting people to food, heritage and community.

Located at 871 N. Cornell St. (1525 W.) Salt Lake City, Utah, 84116

Open Saturday mornings (Spring & Summer: 8 to 10; Fall 9-11) and Wednesday evenings (April-October 6 to dusk)

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Speed Weeding


Do you find satisfaction in weeding? When I weed, my mind can ponder and roam while my hands feel connected to the dust of the earth. Yesterday, my friend and her three girls, and three of my kids all weeded the onions, corn, and potatoes. Most people when they hear "weeding" think of back-breaking, strenuous labor. "By the sweat of thy brow" and Laura Ingalls might come to mind. But not in well-tended soil like the Community Garden! The earth is so rich and loose that the weeds come out readily. And in some areas there are giant weeds--removing them is immensely satisfying! In less than an hour, we removed 2 or 3 wheelbarrows full, which the kids enthusiastically deposited in the compost pile.

I discovered that they're growing a lovely lettuce mix. I've been thinking lately how ridiculous it is to buy lettuce this time of year when I should be able to grow it. I grew some in the Spring, but I didn't know I could plant it in July. So keep it moist for germination! And set out snail traps (yeast and sugar with water in a milk jug) or beer if you want. We took home cucumbers, squash, kohlrabi and carrots. The corn is looking great! Two nights ago I made a parsnip and turnip "puff." Not a winner with the kids, but fun to try. My two year old daughter now begs for us to "go bike ride comminnee garren an go play park?" The sweet satisfaction of raising the next generation of weeders!

No comments:

Post a Comment