Location and Schedule

Nourishing and nurturing our future through a shared teaching garden connecting people to food, heritage and community.

Located at 871 N. Cornell St. (1525 W.) Salt Lake City, Utah, 84116

Open Saturday mornings (Spring & Summer: 8 to 10; Fall 9-11) and Wednesday evenings (April-October 6 to dusk)

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Lettuce Eat!



In one of those useless forwards I read once that lettuce is the only vegetable in the produce section that can only be eaten fresh-not canned, frozen or cooked. Well they didn't consult Julia Child on that one. In the last 6 weeks I have eaten lettuce nearly every day and never bought any. When the Community Garden was shelling out bushels of peas I knew I had to consult the French way of cooking. I discovered a recipe for 3 contemporary vegetables--lettuce, peas and green onions. What I didn't know was how long it takes to shell a grocery bag full of pods, to get two cupsful of peas. Hint: many hands make light work. My 3 yr old didn't sense there was nothing in it for her, as my older boys suspected. Shelling aside, this dish took 5 minutes prep and 30 minutes cooking. The sugar carmelized to make this a flavorful new spin on lettuce. And it turns out, these veggies go together, well, like peas in a pod.

Peas are still plentiful at the Garden! Usher in the first day of summer with a visit tonight, 6-8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment