Location and Schedule

Nourishing and nurturing our future through a shared teaching garden connecting people to food, heritage and community.

Located at 871 N. Cornell St. (1525 W.) Salt Lake City, Utah, 84116

Open Saturday mornings (Spring & Summer: 8 to 10; Fall 9-11) and Wednesday evenings (April-October 6 to dusk)

Saturday, June 30, 2012

What's the Big Dill?

Before I moved to Utah 13 years ago, if you had asked me the above question, I would have answered, "the pickles that aren't sliced." Now that I speak Utahn and say "banana pill" and "for sell," I know that dill and deal are pronounced the same. This week at the Garden, though, dill is the big deal. We have a wall of dill that's a fabulous deal--an ounce or two of sweat for all the dill you can deal with. I made the best and easiest potato salad of my life with it--boil potatoes with green onions to fork tender, cool, add desired amount of mayo, salt, pepper, dill and stir. My mom also used to make "dilly rolls:" her favorite bread recipe plus plain yogurt, diced onions and a generous amount of dill. What dill recipes are a big dill at your house?

Also come try English broad beans. Green onions, beets, some peas, chard available. Plenty of weeds to harvest as well--I think I'll try the purslane recipe I heard today.

No comments:

Post a Comment